Thursday, January 19, 2012

Basho Revisited, Red Pepper

Matsuo Basho (1644-1694)
Maybe you know the parable of the mustard seed told by the Christ. A mustard seed is a very tiny seed, but it grows to a very large tree. In the parable Christ means that the smallest seed of belief can grow to the greatness of believing.
There are more tiny seeds that grow to be a great plant or tree. In the following haiku the tiny seed of the Red Pepper is the theme.

Red Chili Pepper
kono tane to   omoi konasa ji   togarashi


such a tiny seed
yet not to be underrated
red pepper


It's a wonderfully crafted haiku. Such a tiny seed as that of the red pepper described and honored in the shortest verse of the world. This is what haiku means. A tiny verse, the greatest of poetry. I love this very much. A few words with a great meaning.

a mustard seed
to grow a shaded place
in the backyard


Awesome! Such a tiny seed that creates a shaded place in the backyard. Certainly a haiku in the Spirit of Basho.

Sincerely,

Also published for:

6 comments:

  1. Two wonderful Haiku. Great stuff.

    Here is my entry:
    http://jackedwardspoetry.blogspot.com/2012/01/january-sales.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I tried the link to yours, but it didn't work. Come again to visit my blog.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting. Yes ... I love tiny verses as haiku is, I also love e.g. senryu, tanka and kyoka.

      Delete
  3. I love these! I do experiment with haiku, senryuu and gogohka quite a lot ... Love these! Wait, I said that already :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robert, thank you for visiting my weblog. Haiku isn't an easy poetry form, but when you are starting to write them ... well than you are addicted to haiku ... that's my opinion :) Haiku is a drug and of course it's my passion.

      Delete