Sunday, January 8, 2012

Basho Revisited, in full bloom

Basho was a well known haiku master. He was often invited at parties and Renga sessions and also invited friends at his own house.
The following haiku he wrote before he went off for one of his journeys. The haiku had preface, very common for that time. 'People came to the edge of the town to see me off and we had farewell drinks at the teahouse'.
The haiku is an example of the association and contrast techniques. Both the flowers and the partygoers are in 'full bloom' but the flowers seem to ignore the people while tyhe people admire the flowers. Some sources see the subject as typically 'haikai', because it is usual to go to view cherry blossoms or chrysanthemums, but no body wrote about morning glories (because they were so common).

asagao wa   sakamori shi ra nu   sakari kana

morning glories
ignoring the revelers
in full bloom


The above haiku, not a well known one by the way, was written in the Summer of 1688. Basho was at that time a well respected and honored haiku master with a large group of disciples or students.
What can I do to write a new haiku in the same Spirit as Basho's. I am not (yet) a haiku master. I pretend not to be one, but Basho is one (so not the only one!) who inspires me to write my haiku.

Let me see ... 'morning glories'  were common, so in my haiku there must be a common flower as we know them in The Netherlands (where I live). Also, just as in the haiku by Basho, there have to be people in it. The last sentence 'in full bloom' closes the haiku with strong energy. Well ... I have given it a try.


thousand daisies
around the farmer's house -
lowing of a cow


Is this it? Let me look. First daisies are very common in my country. We see them mostly in the fields of farmers and the lowing of cows ... well cows are very Dutch :)
Yes, I think I succeeded in my goal to write a haiku in Basho's Spirit.

Sincerely,

1 comment:

  1. I am not reading your posts in haste...there have been many visits over days that I have read and re-read to learn. Today, I learned, or distilled from your writing how to compare and write in the spirit of another's haiku
    "Let me see ... 'morning glories' were common,
    so in my haiku there must be a common flower as we know them in The Netherlands (where I live).
    Also, just as in the haiku by Basho, there have to be people in it.
    The last sentence 'in full bloom' closes the haiku with strong energy. "

    Thank you. Enjoyable as always...

    ReplyDelete